Well, I have had two weeks full of new and delicious food! It was easy for my family to sample a number of new foods because we were on vacation during this time. Restaurants in Alaska have a few different items on their menus than we have in Wisconsin!
We stayed at a bed and breakfast during part of our stay, and boy did they serve up a delicious breakfast. Our whole family was starting off the day with something new! The b&b also served up a treat in the afternoon, and we found blueberry lavender hand pies waiting for us one day. The taste of the lavender really enhanced the blueberries and it was so unexpected. I have been seeing more and more recipes lately that use lavender, and I guess it’s not as odd as it sounds.
Since our trip brought us to more than a few bakeries, ice cream shops, and markets, we constantly were able to challenge our taste buds. At every ice cream shop, we would sample at least one new flavor before ordering. Ok, sometimes two. The farmer’s market also had us sampling a wide variety of new goodies.
You don’t need to sit down to a whole meal of “new to you” food, just a sample of something is enough! Doesn’t everyone have to always take at least one bite? Remember those days of being a picky eater as a three year old? (No? Me either..)
The Results Are In
Here’s a list of our new foods over the last two weeks, and I hope it inspires you to just take a taste of something new the next time you are out and about!
- The Kenai Peninsula in Alaska is full of breweries that offer tastings. We tried a lot local brews, and now wish that just a few of them shipped to Wisconsin.
- Rhubarb lemonade. I was surprised at the amount of rhubarb products at the farmer’s market.
- Glacier silt flavored ice cream. Made in Alaska. This ice cream was spicy because it has ginger and cinnamon in it.
- White chocolate mocha. I found a few Starbucks in AK!
- Reindeer sausage. This was a big hit with my husband.
- Spicy ginger soda. This was a homemade soda drink that I ordered and it was extremely spicy! Whew!
- Maple brown butter pecan gelato. Yes, they know how to make some very tasty gelato in Alaska.
- Blueberry rhubarb jam. This was a sample at the farmer’s market in Homer. So good!
- Jalepeno Ranch Ruffles. Gas station score in Wasilla, AK. I just bought another bag tonight at my local store.
- Glacier margarita. $12 of margarita goodness made with glacier ice. I have the cup to prove it.
- Eggs baked in cream with heirloom tomatoes. I thought it was delicious…the kids stuck to scrambled eggs.
- Blueberry lavender pie. Shh..I’m keeping the lavender part quiet.
- Nutella filled ebelskiver. The kids loved them! Time to hunt down an ebelskiver pan.
- Italian eggs in a pretzel cup. Another delicious breakfast at our B&B.
- Chocolate covered fruit loops. This goodie was placed on the pillows of my kid’s beds at the B&B.
- Creme brulee french toast topped with berries. Dessert for breakfast!
- Various fruity wines at a wine tasting.
- Crispy taco Lays potato chips. Bet you can’t eat just one.
- Fried green tomato Ruffles. Yummy! I’ve never had a fried green tomato, but will have to!
- Confetti cupcake ice cream. This was a treat during school shopping. This flavor wasn’t a favorite of anyone.
- Lastly, I’m munching on some Mocha Crunch cereal as I type..my new favorite snack.
Wow! How about that list? Without the challenge, I probably would have a list about 1/4 of the size. Keep the challenge going!
Why we do the Food First Before Friday Challenge
Incorporating new experiences into your life doesn’t have to be a big event, in fact, it can be a simple first that can change your week. The main thing is to just try something new! So, I am doing a weekly challenge to try one new food by next Friday. Yes, just one new food a week. But just think, after one year, you’ll have experienced 52 new foods that you probably wouldn’t have even tried without this challenge! Each Friday, I’ll post the challenge and the results from the prior week.
Next Week’s Challenge
Is there some food or beverage that you’ve always been curious about? Or something you just happened to notice in the store? This is your week to taste it! Try something that you’ve always wanted to taste, but for some reason haven’t. Enjoy!
What new foods did you try over the last two weeks?