It’s almost time for your family vacation to Atlantis Bahamas and your departure day can’t get here fast enough! Are you packed for your trip? Of course, you say, we could leave tomorrow! Really? Your family may want to check out this list of what to pack for Atlantis and throw a few more things into your suitcase.
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Read my disclosure policy here.)
As of July 18, 2020 – Atlantis is closed indefinitely. Check out the details on their website as to what is opening during phase 1.
What to Pack for the Beach and Water Park at Atlantis Bahamas
1. Waterproof case for your cell phone – This isn’t a necessity, but if you want your phone with you in the water park you will wish you had one. Want to take pictures of the sharks at the end of the Serpent slide? You’ll want this. Our whole family loves these cell phone cases, and you really can use the touchscreen while the phone is inside. We’ve taken pictures and videos underwater with our phones and not a drop of water leaked in. Plus, you can’t beat the price!
2. Goggles for the kids – Nice for the water slides, and for a ride in the fast moving Current “lazy” river.
3. Water shoes– There is a lot of walking that your family will do within the water park, and walking to and from the park to your room. Invest in some water proof shoes.
4. Beach hats for everyone! You’ll appreciate them after spending a few hours in the hot sun.
5. Pack some insulated mugs in your suitcase (fill them with socks or small items to save suitcase space) and keep your drinks icy cold for hours while you relax by the pool.
6. Bring more sunscreen than you think you need. You don’t want to pay the big bucks for it at the resort.
7. We’ve started to see people using towel clips on their beach chairs. Good idea, and they don’t take up much room in your suitcase.
8. The white sand at Atlantis is soft, and can keep your kids entertained for hours. These collapsible beach buckets are the best thing ever! Atlantis does sell beach toys at the towel huts, but they are expensive.
10. Small soft-sided cooler – You will want this if you plan to spend more than a couple of hours at the beach or water park pool. This cooler folds flat, and doesn’t take up much room in your suitcase. It’s also less than $10!
11. Pack a lanyard for your hotel room key. You’ll feel better when you have your key with you, than with it sitting on a beach chair for anyone to grab and start charging things to your room with.
12. I’ve been starting to see these beach bags with locks at pools lately. This is a great way to secure your belongings while you are in the water. Just make sure you are locking it securely on the chair.
13. Swim suit cover-ups – you’ll be walking thru a lot of public spaces between the pools and your room.
14. Sunscreen stick for faces or touch-ups. We just started using this, and it’s easy to apply and is very effective.
What to Pack for Your Room at Atlantis Bahamas
16. Buying bottles of water is expensive at Atlantis, so investing in a filtered water bottle that you can use for this trip and future adventures is a good idea. The water is safe to drink at Atlantis, but you may not like the taste.
17. Pack a small pair of scissors in your checked bag, or a Swiss Army knife with scissors. You’ll use them, guaranteed.18. Large bag to organize groceries or laundry.
19. Pack as many non-perishable snacks into your suitcase as you can. The snacks will get eaten and you will save a lot of money.
20. Band Aids – Waterproof bandages are best.
21. Aloe or after sun care – The sun is strong and your kids might just be having too much fun to remember to reapply sunscreen.
22. A fun way to have kids settle down at the end of a day, is to give them a kids travel journal to record their day.
23. Do you use packing cubes? If not, you have to start! Packing cubes help organize your clothes, you can assign one color to each family member, and they compress your clothes so you have more room in your suitcase!
24. A small size toiletry bag. We love the ones from LL Bean
25. An extra pair of sunglasses. Isn’t someone always temporarily losing their sunglasses?
26. Small toys for the kids. Bring a sea life themed toy to surprise your kid with upon arrival, it’s bound to be cheaper than anything for sale on property.
27. Deep conditioner. Pool water, salt water, sunshine, and water slides do a number on everyone’s hair. Keep your hair healthy and tangle free with a deep conditioner. The conditioner that is in your room helps a little, but won’t do much for tangles.
28. A Wet brush for long hair. These brushes get the tangles out without the pain and your kids screaming like you’re pulling their hair out.
29. Spray detangler for hair. Helps the wet brush work that much better. Have you guessed yet that I have girls with long hair?
30. Travel size bottles for toiletries. There’s no need to haul full size bottles when your luggage space is at a premium.
31. Every time we have a hotel stay, I pack a large ziploc bag full of smaller ziplocs, napkins, paper plates, plastic silverware, and clothes pins.
What to Pack for Around the Resort at Atlantis Bahamas
32. Travel stroller for the littlest kids. There is a lot of walking at the resort, plus small kids usually require a lot of stuff.
35. RFID wallet or credit card holder. It doesn’t hurt to have an extra layer of security and you are less likely to have some surprise charges on your next credit card statement. This cute RFID front zip wristlet is from Vera Bradley:
Now That You Know What to Pack, Let Me Tell You About 40 Easy Ways to Save Money at Atlantis Bahamas….
- If your vacation dates are flexible, you can get a huge savings on your room rate if you stay during the week or visit during the off season. We visited the first week of January when the nightly rates at the Reef varied from $350-$484 during the 5 nights (Wednesday-Sunday) we were there. I checked a random weekday in June and the rate at the Reef was $263.
- Pay with points when you book your stay. The five properties at Atlantis are part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, so begin saving your Marriott points as soon as you start dreaming about the trip. Three of the towers (Coral, Royal, and Cove) can be booked with Marriott Bonvoy points and range in redemption categories from level 5-7. Unfortunately, the Reef and Beach can’t be reserved with points at this time. Not enough Marriott Bonvoy points? Other options available are Citi Thank You Points and Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- No hotel or travel reward points? Pay for your stay with a credit card that earns you some cash back. For example, use a card that pays 2% cash back on travel and get $20 for every $1,000 you spend. Don’t laugh….every little bit of savings adds up.
- Don’t stay at Atlantis. What?! Stay at the adjacent Comfort Suites and receive complimentary daily passes to Aquaventure, the water park at Atlantis. The room rates at the Comfort Suites are cheaper, and your family will be eating a free breakfast every morning. I compared prices on a random weekday in March, and the Comfort Suites was about $120 per night lower than the cheapest rate at Atlantis.