I just heard the weather forecast for tomorrow, and it says SNOW! 8-10 inches of the white stuff will be covering the ground before we know it. That’s winter in Wisconsin, and the season seems to go on forever! It’s hard to imagine that some parts of our country don’t have to deal with the cold and snow, but I know that every family has to deal with seriously needing a dose of family fun! Here are 26 winter activities for family fun:
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Read my disclosure policy here.)
Winter Activities for Family Fun
- Get out of the house for a weekend and take a short trip. There is probably somewhere close to home that your family hasn’t explored yet.
- Go ice skating. Find an indoor rink somewhere, or if you really want to brave the cold, skate outdoors.
- Attend a sporting event that is new to you. Not a hockey mom? Head to a game and see what you are missing! There’s also curling, broomball, cross country ski races, and so much more!
- Build a fire outdoors in the fire pit or indoors in the fireplace. The extra warmth is very welcome this time of year. Let the storytelling begin!
- Take a class. Our favorites are cooking classes for kids, family yoga, and painting classes.
- Take a sleigh ride. Rides may be offered at a local resort, farm or during a winter festival.
- Did you take an awesome summer vacation that you want to remember forever? Make a photobook. My favorite website to do this is on Shutterfly, but I have made small photo books thru Walgreens too.
- Go ice fishing. What? Try to catch dinner thru a small hole in the ice in the middle of a lake. It’s an experience for sure. Many towns in the upper Midwest offer a kids fishing day and there’s usually an ice fishing contest somewhere every winter weekend.
- Too cold outside? Curl up inside with some popcorn and watch movies. Introduce your kids to some of your old favorites, or catch up on the movies you missed while you were busy the past fall having all that family fun!
- Write a letter to a friend or family member, or just draw a picture for someone. Send it off in the mail, and wait for the reply.
- Go swimming. Spend an afternoon at a local pool, a hotel pool, or a super fun water park!
- Plan a garden and plant some seeds. Follow this link to find various seed starting kits online.
- Have you ever been dog sledding, skiing, snowshoeing, or tubing? This is the season!
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a super fancy decadent dessert. Better yet, if you make it together.
- Attend a winter festival. Festivals in the winter offer all kinds of unique experiences. You can go turkey bowling, play golf in the snow, or even walk thru an ice castle.
- Make homemade hot cocoa. Set up all of the toppings and see who can make the most outrageous cup of cocoa.
- Read a good book.
- Visit your local library. Attend a program, bookclub, or story hour.
- Shop local. Pick a “warm” day and check out the winter sales in the main street stores.
- Go bowling. You’ll be surprised at how bowling alleys have changed since you were a kid. Disco balls, black lights, and you don’t even have to keep your own score!
- Visit the zoo, botanical garden, or a museum. You will be sure to have some fun and even learn something.
- Go camping in your living room. Set up a small tent, get out the sleeping bags, and pretend it’s the middle of summer. The best part is that there are no mosquitoes!
- Play all of those board games that you got for Christmas, or put together a puzzle.
- Have a video game tournament. The kids will love teaching mom and dad how to play.
- Bake something together. The oven will warm up the house and you get a yummy homemade treat.
- Enjoy the first warm day of spring, because winter will make another appearance tomorrow!
What are your family’s favorite winter activities for family fun? Let us know….because it’s only January.